Bart's Bash to raise funds for The Helmsman Project in Australia

The Helmsman Project has received a grant of $8,700 from the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation. The Project has also been selected by the international sailing charity to be the official Australian charity for their annual sailing event, Bart’s Bash!

This is the second time the global sailing event has taken place. Bart’s Bash was conceived in 2014 as a participation event in memory of Andrew “Bart” Simpson. It grew beyond all expectations and officially became the largest sailing race in the world, with over 30,000 people taking to the water across 52 countries.

This year, the aim of the campaign is to increase participation even further, with the ultimate goal of becoming one of the world’s biggest sporting events. Any sailing club, community sailing program, sail training centre, yacht club, scout group, sea cadets and even groups of sailors globally can hold a Bart’s Bash race.

All Bart’s Bash participants are being encouraged to raise valuable funds for The Helmsman Project and the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation, which after 12 months, is already undertaking a range of sustainable projects across five other countries.

As the official Australian charity, The Helmsman Project will receive 70% of all money raised through the event in Australia. The other 30% will go towards the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation to help developing nations and support other not-for-profit sailing initiatives, which aim to transform the lives of young people through sailing and continue Andrew’s legacy.

The Helmsman Project is a not-for-profit organisation that runs an adventure-based coaching program designed to build life skills in year 9 students from schools located in communities affected by disadvantage. Sailing and land-based activities are used as the adventure education medium.

Its aim is to help young people develop a broadened perspective of the opportunities available to them in the future, a sense of hope, self-regulatory skills and increased resilience – all attributes that will help them navigate through life’s challenges and achieve their full potential.

Bart's Bash will take place on Sunday, 20 September. Whether you sail for a club or yourself, you can be part of this cause by registering here and setting up a fundraising page to support The Helmsman Project and other amazing projects transforming the lives of young people across the world.

– Mel Yeomens

 

Coursemaster Autopilot
Windcraft
Listings Added
West System Afloat
Pantaenius Sailing
M.O.S.S Australia
Jeanneau Sun Fast
Multihull Group