Nestled in the quiet waters of North West Bay south of Margate, one of Tasmania’s newest and best equipped marinas is continuing its major redevelopment. Margate Marina represents one of Tasmania’s largest private marina investments, ideally situated on the gateway waters to the D’Entrecasteaux Channel.
Only a few years ago, the site was a ruined wreck of dilapidated piers and jetties. Following many years of planning and approvals, redevelopment commenced in April 2018. This included the demolition of the old infrastructure followed by construction of the specially engineered breakwater/attenuator and the first stage of marina berths.
A spokesperson for the marina said, “The first 50 berths opened to the wait-listed customers in October 2018 with a further 80 berths opening a year later. These are all floating pontoon berths, each with power and water, ranging in size from 10m to 40m – arguably the largest range of berth sizes of any marina in Tasmania. The Marina will continue expanding to the approved total of 300 berths.”
In the meantime, work on the Marina’s infrastructure has continued with several major projects now completed. The marina spokesman summarised these as:
- Installation of a new pump-out facility. This is the only pump-out outside the Derwent area and is a great benefit to the public and the environment. The pump-out is free of charge to all vessels with holding tanks, 7 days a week during Marina operating hours. The project has been undertaken with full support from Marine and Safety Tasmania.
- A new laundry for all our live-aboard customers. Located in the existing office building, the laundry has its own entrance and is a great convenience to berth customers living at the Marina.
- A new asphalt driveway entry from Marina Drive. This extends from the members’ entry gate down to the parking area adjacent to the berth entry. Benefits include a more attractive and functional driveway and parking area.
- An expanded trailer storage area bringing total capacity to 70 bays.
- Increased CCTV coverage expanded to all operational areas.
The Marina spokesperson said, “We’re proud of our point of difference. We’re the only marina in Tassie offering this unique combination of benefits; daily boat checks, office open 7 days a week, 24-hour CCTV, members-only access to the marina berths, a dual fuel pontoon, free pump-out facilities, ample parking, hardstand and trailer storage and a fully operational slip yard.”
Demand for berths continues to be “strong and steady” due to the Marina’s wide range of facilities and direct access to the famous cruising waters of the D’Entrecasteaux Channel.
– Philip Brown / Margate Marina