Fire ripped through the harbour tour boat Spirit of Norfolk, leaving it burned out above the main deck level.
The Spirit of Norfolk caught fire on Tuesday afternoon while conducting a harbour tour for elementary school students just off Naval Station Norfolk. 108 people were on board the 190-foot vessel, including 89 school children. Passengers reported that the smoke and fire came from the direction of the engine room, and this was supported by videos showing smoke emerging from the stern. To ensure the safety of the passengers, the crew moved them to the weather deck, and fireboats arrived shortly after to respond to the emergency.
The fire ultimately burned forward through the passenger compartments and up through the pilothouse.
No pollution has been reported and the vessel and the area around it are under monitoring as response efforts continue. The vessel was still smouldering on Wednesday evening, with fire crews remaining on scene to respond if needed.