No Mini Transat race start this weekend

The 22nd edition of the Mini-Transat La Boulangère will not now be able to set sail this weekend, as the narrow weather window has closed and the expected forecast in the Bay of Biscay over the coming days is such that the huge fleet of Mini 6.50s cannot be safely released.

Denis Hugues, Race Director for the Mini-Transat La Boulangère, explains the reasoning for this latest postponement: “We summoned the racers today because we really believed that there was an opportunity to set sail. If a weather window presented itself, it was important to snap it up.

“Unfortunately, conditions have deteriorated overnight and the front expected to roll through on Tuesday has become a lot more active.

“We’re expecting 30-knot winds, gusting to 40 knots, and waves of 3.5 to 4 metres.” Christian Dumard, the race’s meteorologist corroborates this viewpoint: “The front is sweeping across the whole of the Bay of Biscay and it’s not possible to dip to the South of it, even by putting in place waypoints.

“It will be very complicated to set off before Wednesday.”

So when can we envisage a new weather window for the 22nd edition to kick off?

“It would seem very complicated to release the boats before Wednesday,” Hugues responded.

“We’re also keeping a close eye on the trajectory of Hurricane Lorenzo, which remains unsettled. Some models suggest it will have an impact on the Bay of Biscay late next week, whipping up winds in excess of 50 knots.” We’ll just have to wait and see…

Whatever happens, the stopover in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and the start date for the second leg (2 November), are not called into question.

More info at: www.minitransat.fr

M.O.S.S Australia
Jeanneau Sun Fast
West System Afloat
Coursemaster Autopilot
M.O.S.S Australia
Jeanneau Sun Fast
West Systems 2