Having been in existence for over five years, we thought it was time to take the next step, and what a step it is going to be. Never before have we been able to focus our entire lives to the campaign and now founder Ian ‘Thommo’ Thomson and Annika Fredriksson are going to do just that.
The Pacific is an incredible place for sailing and diving. Over the next year, starting in July, we will be sailing our new 43ft yacht from the Mediterranean through the Caribbean back to Australia. Initially we will deliver the boat through to the Caribbean with very little stops and then onto the Pacific where the real journey begins. On the way are the dream places of Galapagos, Marquesas, Tahiti, Society Islands, Cook Islands, Niue, Tonga, Fiji and New Caledonia. Throughout our journey we will be spending plenty of time exploring the wilderness, diving remote reefs, visiting schools, and creating a documentary called Overtaking our Oceans.
Our goals are:
- Educate remote schools with our education program as they don’t have the facilities to download it.
- Visit remote villages to see the effect of plastic on their lives.
- Conduct clean ups on beaches and document our findings.
- Capture new images and footage of the good, the bad and the ugly of plastics in our oceans to update our current lesson program.
- Create a three-part documentary to tell the story of plastic in the Pacific
- Create articles for dive and sailing magazines of these pristine locations and how our habits are effecting them.
- Share our experiences with as many people as possible.
- Offer people the chance to join us on our crusade.