Race director Denis Thompson's decision to defer the long island race for the Grand Prix boats today has been vindicated by a total lack of wind first thing this morning. Last night, Denis took the decision to defer the race until later in the week when the more normal trade winds are expected to finally come in.
When I went for an early swim this morning, the palm trees were absolutely still and the temperature was already warming up. Now, at just before 9am, the temperature is 22.5 degrees and there is an official 5 knots of wind. That at least offers some hope that racing will start on time at around 11am.
It has been a frustrating series for sailors and organisers alike so far, but Denis Thompson has made the right decisions, moving start times and even relocating races completely to areas where there is more wind.
With a lay day tomorrow, the crews will be able to relax and enjoy the many activities on the island before racing re-commences in hopefully stronger winds on Wednesday.
I'll bring you a full report on the day's racing when I come back in from the course later this afternoon.
– Roger McMillan