Maitre Coq first casualty in Transat Jacques Vabre

Maitre Coq

Following the damage that happened at around 2300hrs yesterday evening to a mainstay attachment, which holds the mast up from the front, Jérémie Beyou and Philippe Legros, who were in 4th place, were forced to make their way to Roscoff, which they reached this morning at 0830hrs. The shore team and suppliers analysed the situation and attempted to replace the faulty part.
In spite of their hard work, late today they were unable to guarantee that the replacement part would be solid enough to allow the two sailors to head back out to sea without any worries. The situation was in fact all the more tense with the weather that has been forecast for the coming hours, as Maître CoQ would have likely faced some strong winds (30 – 40 knots) with a wave height of 6-7 metres

“It’s very hard for us, for the team and our partners… But today we don’t have the conditions that would ensure the safety of the men and the equipment. We’re going to have to step back and analyse all that with the team. Today, there are two possible scenarios depending on what conclusions we come to: either we deliver the boat to St-Barts to line up for the Transat B2B and see how we do against the competition, or we take her into the yard, so we can sail earlier in 2016,” Beyou reported.

Jeanneau SO380
M.O.S.S Australia
Race Yachts