Yachting New Zealand has come out in support of the Wynyard Hobson Application for the America’s Cup infrastructure and event, including the following:
- the construction works for operations as well as the plan to host events under the unitary plan
- the positioning of the bases
- the creation of a long-term base for Emirates Team New Zealand to operate from
- the land use consents and fast-tracking of regional permits associated with these structures
- the process of bringing this to fruition
- Yachting New Zealand recognise this is a non-complying activity and agree that referring it directly to the Environment Court for consideration is the right approach.
YNZ says resolving these issues needs to be fast-tracked in the most cost-effective and time-effective way possible. Yachting New Zealand believe this is a great opportunity to have a facility to promote yachting and boating in the Auckland Viaduct.
There is also the opportunity for the infrastructure to become a legacy for the city, enabling more events to be run, not just sailing, with several major championships coming to New Zealand in the next five years. Having that type of infrastructure in the city, claims YNZ, is a major drawcard to attract more events in the future.